Part of a terraced house, this garden was lower than the house, and was accessed through old stone steps. It was also surrounded by a low wall. Space was slightly sloping and the owners wanted a strong scheme since the garden was mainly watched from above. As for the plant project, however, the request was for a “jungle” style vegetation, with bamboo, banana trees, formes, reeds, Acanthus mollis, Crambe cordifolia, and fatsia.
GARDEN PROJECT IDEA 1
The choice fell on this option. A very formal scheme proposes large terraces with the difference in height divided into three parts, all with lawn. An armillary sphere has been placed in the central circle, edged with red bricks in keeping with the house. A pair of trees in obligatory form is the entrance to the back of the garden. The owners’ taste in terms of vegetation, however, strides a bit with the style of the project.
GARDEN PROJECT IDEA 2
The plan shows an alternative project with a paving of 60 x 60 cm gray-green stone slabs instead of grass. A relaxation area has been placed at the bottom, while a play of water in the intermediate section makes the journey into the garden more interesting.
GARDEN PROJECT IDEA 3
An informal and economic option: the garden preserves its natural slope up to a paved relaxation area, which can be accessed via a rustic arch.
DIMENSIONS 14 x 6 m
DISTINCTIVE TREATS exotic vegetation and relaxation area
LOCATION Landscape design Dubai
The shape of the lawn
The shape of your lawn will be mainly linked to the style or the theme of the garden. Informal projects are usually better for meadows with irregular but gentle curves, while more formal styles lend themselves better to lawns with straight or symmetrical-shaped borders, such as the circle.
Masking a square garden
• A round lawn will help to mask a garden of too squared form looking away from angles and straight edges.
• A round lawn will occupy an area less than one square with the side equivalent to the diameter, leaving more space for vegetation and other furnishing elements.
Masking a long and narrow garden
• The square lawn is useful in 45 °, to create diagonals that interrupt the narrow perspective.
• With a square lawn will increase the floor space.
• A square lawn is easier to mow than a round one, above all if small.
Also read: Alnus (Betulaceae).